So. Ahem. I started dating. Kind of. Since I seem to be ensconced in estrogen these days, I could use a good shot of testosterone every now and again. What can I say? A man friend. A part-time boyfriend. A lover. A let’s-go-out-and-hit-a-few-balls-in-the-park guy. Any of these would be great. I still love my girlfriends. But. Just put a man in my world. Please.
So. I have started my dating adventure with the online dating thing.
I have signed up for Match; OkCupid; Plenty of Fish; and (ahem) Tinder. So far I have dropped Match and Plenty of Fish. Tinder is a keeper – addictive and fun. I’m still working OkCupid. I’m contemplating E-Harmony. However, I’m not ready to touch OurTime…just yet. Don’t judge me.
I have found, regardless of which site, there are common trends in man-pics, the profile pictures men attach to their bio. Sometimes I think: do they know how they’re coming across? or is this what other women like? or are they being coerced at gunpoint by some crazy ex-girlfriend to post these pics in a scheme to keep him to herself? Sloppy pics. Funny face pics. Oddly-posed pics. Mostly-naked (blahyuk!) pics. And then there’s the infamous “HEADSHOT!”
May I just see what you look like… like normal? Please?
I have seen enough in my (ahem) man-search that I can now come up with a top ten list of the most common trends in profile pics. Some I may be able to draw conversation from, however, I must confess – most of them turn me off… except for one. Or maybe two.
TOP TEN LIST OF MOST COMMON DATING PICS SEEN ONLINE
10. MAN POSING WITH STANLEY CUP (manly)
9. MAN SHAKING HANDS WITH OR SIDE-HUGGING DALI LAMA (compassionate)
8. MAN TAKING SELFIE IN A MIRROR – TOPLESS (retro. sexy(?))
7. MAN POSING WITH LARGE FURRY OR DISNEY CHARACTER (sexy(?))
6. MAN ON MOTORCYCLE (rebel)
5. MAN ON TOP OF A SNOWY SUMMIT OF SOME MOUNTAIN (adventurous)
4. MAN POSING WITH RIFLE (cringe…)
3. MAN POSING WITH A SMALL CHILD – Caption: “CHILD OF A FRIEND” (kids love me)
2. MAN POSING WITH GORGEOUS WOMAN – Caption: “JUST A FRIEND” (women love me)
1. DOG PIC – with NO MAN (I have a dog. You’ll be dating my dog.)
I may be too judgy or picky. Or maybe I’m not letting my sense of humor out of its cage. Or maybe I need to give credit for a guy’s attempt to impress…
…or… maybe… guys could just put up normal pictures so we women can swipe right a little more often than we swipe left.* Then we would all be getting more dates.
Ciao for now!
*tinder rules: swipe a pic left means nope, swipe a pic right means yep.